Sunday, October 17, 2010

Free Haircuts

Sorry I have disappeared for like the last week and a half. I've been extremely stressed from school and haven't had time to write or post anything... I don't really have anything beauty related this time since I have absolutely no time to try out anything lately. But here's a story I'd like to share with you all:

A couple days before I had to take my graduation photos, my mom insisted that I get a haircut because according to her, my hair has been growing out to look like a mop (which was SO untrue!). So... even though I really did not want to, I went for a haircut. The worse part was that I had to go to this hairdresser that I didn't like due to previous experiences with him and this time was no different. He literally just cut my hair off in a straight line, no layers, whatsoever. I could have done this myself! I had to get my graduation photos taken with this haircut. The pictures turned out so bad that I didn't even want to look at them. The fact that my mom didn't think that there was anything wrong with it made me even more pissed off.

Two days later, I went on CraigsList and found myself a student hairstylist who was able to cut my hair for free! I thought to myself, "well, it can't be any worse off than what I have now" so I went for it. I emailed her and we set up an appointment. My hair turned out great! It was a little shorter than what I had intended it to be, but I was happy with it. Much better than the one I had before which I also had to pay for.

Hair stylists are required to complete hours of actual hands-on training/experience before getting certified, so it's not hard to find stylists willing to give you a free haircut in exchange for the practical training time you are offering them. They are supervised by a certified hairstylist so you don't have to worry about going in as a Marilyn Monroe type and coming out like a cartoon. Once in a while, professional or "graduated" hairstylists would also offer free haircuts to demonstrate to their students/interns.

The only limits to these free haircuts are that they usually take longer than you intend (mine took 3 hours or so). But give them a break, they are students after all. Also, they usually have a type of hairstyle in mind that they want to do (e.g. A-line bob), so you don't get a lot to choose from, but they let you know ahead of time what they want to do and overall I was very happy with mine.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I'm happy to know that you are happy with your hair cut now, but... we want pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look surprisingly like one of the former Spice Girls - is that what your haircut is like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha - yes, that's Victoria Beckham. There are many stylists who need hair models for her inverted bob.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to share because the haircut was at the beginning of this year and I'm actually waiting for my hair to grow longer again... >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats messed up about the guy doing ur hair like that i would have told him im not payin and i deff wouldnt give him a tip but thats awsome bout gettin a free haircut

    ReplyDelete

This blog is powered by comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...