Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Review: Proactiv Acne Solution

Since grade 4, I suffered from moderate-severe acne problems. Acne is horrible. Just like weight problems, it lowers one's self-esteem and self-confidence. Not only were classmates unforgiving, but relatives like cousins can be judgmental as well, constantly asking you "why does your face look like that?"

One day, my mom saw this TV advertisement for the Proactiv Acne Solution and decided to order it for me to try. The whole set contained of three bottles: 1 cleanser, 1 toner, 1 lotion/moisturizer. At the time, it even came with a Refining Mask as a gift, but I'll review that at a later time. Now this has been a while since I've actually used this product, so keep that in mind that as you read my review, everything I say is from what I remember.

After the first time I used it, I felt this really bad sting on my face and it went all red. I thought to myself "what the hell... no pain no gain," so I continued to use it. The stinging feeling eventually goes away after a week or so of using it. I was able to see a small difference after about a week after using it. The blemishes on my face were not as red and I can start to feel smooth surfaces on my face.

However! Yes, there is a however.... The acne treatment stopped working after a couple months (which is around the same time the money back guarantee is over). From then on, I haven't seen any more improvements. I don't know if it's because I grew tolerance to the treatment or what it was, but I lost my faith in this product thereafter and stopped using it.

Overall, it was just a temporary solution to acne. If you do not have acne problems I would not recommend getting Proactiv Acne Solution. It's not cheap (at least not when I ordered it back then) and I'm sure there are over-the-counter (OTC) products that work just as well to prevent acne. The active ingredients you'd find in this Proactiv products is really similar to any other typical acne products you'd find at a drug store. The only difference may be that it's a little more concentrated (e.g. 2.5% instead of 2% of benzoyl peroxide).

Rating: (3/5)

3 comments:

  1. I had a friend that used this product for 2 weeks and it burned her skin sooo bad that she had to visit a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I hear that Benzoyl Peroxide can do that. So if it's your first time using it, I'd suggest using a very small amount to start with.

    Always remember to do a good amount of research before starting on a regime with active ingredients that you are unfamiliar with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proactiv is soooo..expensive here in Indonesia, so I'll stick with my tested and proved regime, hehe.. Expensive doesn't always mean it'll work, right? ^^

    ReplyDelete

This blog is powered by comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...